Thursday, August 23, 2012



#3 Party School in 2012-13 Princeton Review

Bronze on the Ceiling

Hey y'all. It's been a while since I posted on here. As many of you know the Princeton Review came out with their annual list of the top party schools. Sadly our beloved and inebriated paradise of Ohio University has been bumped down the list a few spaces to number three with West Virginia University taking the crown from us. I know that times like these make us all feel a little disappointed, but we really shouldn't let this get us down.

Jack White once said, "it's quite possible that I'm your third man, girl. But it's a fact that I'm the seventh son!" That is OU. We are the third man. On the surface we seem like just another Midwestern state school, easy to discard, not thought of very highly at first, lower name recognition. We get overlooked and are often times mistaken for those bastards up in Columbus. We are looked down upon by students at Miami and Oklahoma University, who see us as the inferior OU.

In mythology the seventh son, despite his low place in his family, possesses special powers that make him far more unique than his other siblings. That is Ohio University, the seventh son. This past year we cruised past much bigger schools to nab the crown in the party school rankings, we cheered on as our men's basketball team made it to the Sweet Sixteen and nearly toppled number one seeded North Carolina this past March, we watched as The Black Keys, a band that was playing shows at Athens' own Union Bar before they packed arenas all over the world, took the planet by storm. Most importantly many of our grads experience a great deal of success in the real world. This past year my life took a turn for the better when I began working on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. On the Hill I met other OU alums that shared many of the same experiences that I had during my time in Athens, but most of all they look back at their time at Ohio University with pride and happiness. Just because we partied throughout college didn't make us failures at life, it just meant we had more fun growing up than people at other schools did. For this I am proud to call myself a Bobcat.

It's late August and soon a whole new batch of undergrads will begin their journey in Athens. I just wanna tell all of you, there's gonna be some good times and some bad times. Whatever you do make it count and have fun. I'll be back around the way eventually. If you are lucky enough to have gone to school at Ohio University as a young person, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Athens is a moveable bar. I leave you with The Black Keys. Peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment